If you have been a ChatGPT plus user, I guess you might have received an email with an invitation to use OpenAi GPT-4 API. According to reports, many people are unable to access the GPT-4 API and in this article, I am going to explain the issue and possible solutions.
What is the meaning of GPT-4?
GPT-4 is a language model that was advanced from GPT-3 and released by OPenAI the company behind ChatGPT on March 14, 2023.
According to the Wikipedia definition, Generative Pre-trained Transformer 4 is a multimodal large language model created by OpenAI and the fourth in its GPT series. It was released on March 14, 2023, and has been made publicly available in a limited form via ChatGPT Plus, with access to its commercial API being provided via a waitlist.
“You’re invited to use the OPenAI GPT-4 API”
This is an email sent by OpenAI ChatGPT plus users alerting them of the new OpenAI GPT-4 API. Users are invited to use the new model, test it and give feedback. As we all know, OpenAI is relying on user feedback to improve its product.
In this invite, we have a link that directs the user to the model. Check the image below.
How to solve this issue
This issue is presented on OpenAI community Forums and occurs when a user clicks the “Get started” button found in the email message. Many users reported that when they click the button, it doesn’t respond as how the user will expect thus an error.
I have compiled a list of solutions users gave on how they solved this error. Check out the list below and learn how to solve this issue.
- Just either hard refresh (Ctrl+F5) or log out of your account and then hard refresh and then log in again. It worked for me
- If you are having access issues, make sure to upgrade your Openai python package. You can do this by using pip install –upgrade Openai
- Using chat completions endpoint.
my API used to work with gpt-3.5-turbo.
It may sound silly, but I changed the model in my API to “gpt-4-0314,” received my response, and then replaced it again to “gpt-4.” after that, it worked.
What you can do with GPT-4
GPT-4 is an advanced version of GPT-3. GPT-4 is capable of solving difficult problems with greater accuracy. With GPT-4 API, you can now do more and according to ChatGPT OpenAI, you can now be able to;
- Draft an email or other piece of writing
- Write Python code
- Answer questions about a set of documents
- Create conversational agents
- Give your software a natural language interface
- Tutor in a range of subjects
- Translate languages
- Simulate characters for video games and much more